Thursday, June 27, 2013

Back in the Field

My crew digging in the woods at Quantico this morning. The beefy guy in the yellow shirt is one of our minders from Explosive Ordnance, who are there to make sure we don't blow ourselves up on any of the old mortar bombs and artillery shells that seem to be lying all over the place.

And notice the silt fence. We are right next to tidal wetlands, so this is a sensitive environmental zone and we had to have a formal Erosion and Sediment Control Plan. To get our plan approved I had to pass Virginia's E&SC test and become a Responsible Land Disturber.

A little point I found today, not really distinctive enough to be datable but possibly about 4,000 years old.

And this is a 9,000-year-old point they found yesterday while I was in the office. It's just a little bigger than the one in my hand.

View of Chopawamsic Creek from near the site.

No comments: