Saturday, March 7, 2015

Twenty of My Best Posts

I was asked recently by a new reader of this blog if I had a list of favorite posts -- apparently some bloggers do. I came up with these twenty. These are all posts that are mainly my writing, not quotation, and not just collections of pictures or responses to other people's ideas.

Indignation. October 5, 2009. A very dangerous indulgence.

Whose Money? April 28, 2010. Sure, you work hard, but where did that money you think is yours come from?

Burqa Banning, April 30, 2010. Resist the urge to tell other people what to do.

The Renegade Professor Gets Fired, October 20, 2010. In which I try to take down the foolish notions of a bad boy academic.

Pain, Captain, is a thing of the mind, July 14, 2011. One of my many stabs at the connections of mind and body.

Samarkand and Tamerlane, September 9, 2011. In which I ponder that one of the world's most beautiful and cultured cities was built by a tyrannical monster.

Ai Weiwei, November 2, 2011. What is art, anyway?

The "Amazonian Desert", or, the Adaptive Power of Human Culture. November 28, 2011.

RIP Lynn Margulis, November 26, 2011. My best obituary, with some thoughts about science and orthodoxy.

Zombies vs. Cave Bears, December 3, 2011.

The Sanctuary of Roquepertuse and the Celtic Cult of the Head, December 15, 2011. The creepiest, coolest archaeology.

Joseph Cornell's Boxes, December 23, 2011. My favorite of my posts on individual artists, and one of my most popular posts.

Dan Richards and his Mountain Lion, or, Hunters and Conservation, March 2, 2012. Understanding other people is hard, but that's no excuse to quit trying.

The Sad Decline of the American Working Man, December 7, 2012. One of the major issues facing our century is the decline of the male worker in both economic and social terms. Here is one of my many little essays on the subject, in which I touch on most of my own themes in this regard.

The Myth of Pepper and Rotten Food, February 2, 2013. Fighting nonsensical beliefs about history.

Sociology, Numbers, and Dismissing the Minority, March 19, 2013. My clearest expression of my annoyance at the bad mental habit of focusing only on the majority of any group.

Grant in Command, March 21, 2013. In the fifteen years I have been doing archaeology for the National Park Service I have ended up becoming something of an expert on the American Civil War, or at least the battles fought around Washington. Of my many Civil War posts this is the one I like the best. It should perhaps be read together with my thoughts on the contemporary political relevance of how we assess Grant as a leader.

Optimism vs. Pessimism about the American Future, January 2, 2014. There is much to be said for both sides.

If not meritocracy, what? February 4, 2014. An important question.

Celtic Art and Druid Philosophy. March 5, 2015. Exploring the relationship between the revolutionary art  of the La Tene culture and the thinking of the druids.

Reflections on January 2017. American politics considered as a spiritual problem.

No comments: