Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Not All Adjuncts are Miserable

Caravaggista:
I could use this to segue into all the heartbreak and distress the adjunct crisis has caused me and so many others, but the reality is that personally, even though I don’t make much money or have benefits, I get to do what I love every day. That’s worth something. It might not be sustainable forever, but it’s worth it for however long I get to live it.
So there's one young adjunct who would rather teach for no money than earn more doing something less fun.

There are also lots of adjuncts like me, people with other jobs who are happy to pick up a course from time to time, whatever it pays. Heck, if I got to teach whatever I wanted to interested students, I would do it for free. If I were offered a tenure-track professorship at this point in my life, I would probably turn it down.

The adjunct system sucks in many ways, but it's great for some of us, and for others it beats office work.

No comments: