Archaeologists have discovered a rare Pictish symbol stone that was reused as a headstone in the 18th century. It was found during a survey of an early Christian church site near Dingwall in the Scottish Highlands. It had been identified as a likely cross slab dating to the late 8th century. An inscription squeezed in on the top left of the front face reads: “Hugh McAulay Alexander McAulay January 2 1796.”The stone is about a meter tall (3.3 feet), so likely about half remains missing.
Sunday, August 25, 2019
Pictish Symbol Stone Re-Used as Grave Marker
Interesting little discovery in Scotland: