Wednesday, August 3, 2016

An Interesting Primary in Kansas

Tim Huelskamp, a Tea Party leader and Freedom Caucus member who was one of the sharpest thorns in the side of former speaker John Boehner, lost the primary in Kansas 1st district to obstetrician Roger Marshall. Marshall is a conservative but has pledged to work with the party leadership to get things done. While Huelskamp was backed by the Koch brothers, Marshall drew support from the Chamber of Commerce and all the agriculture interests. This strikes me as a positive development; our system can survive plenty of partisanship, but (as we have seen) if people can't eventually make some kind of deal things start to fall apart.

3 comments:

Shadow said...

I think we saw the seeds of this in 2014. Despite Cantor's defeat Tea Partiers lost to incumbents in the primaries. I think it was their worst election. I expect more of this this year.

pithom said...

Why didn't you mention his Black family? He was a classic case of what you might call c**kservatism. Also hated the presidential nominee of the Republican party.

pithom said...

Honestly, I can't see this as a positive development. I prefer liberty over special interests.