Thursday, August 20, 2015

Frank Gehry, Foundation Louis Vuitton

I think this looks pretty much like other Frank Gehry buildings, but on the other hand it doesn't look like anybody else's buildings. So you have to grant the man that he has established a strong personal style.

It's in the the Bois de Boulogne outside Paris, a pleasant setting.


The Foundation Louis Vuitton is one of the few private art museums in France, a product of the new era of billionaires rather than the old Colbertisme.



These interior shots seem cold and sterile to me.

But when you see the sort of art the thing was designed to display, you have to admit that only a cold, sterile building would do. That' s Spectrum XVIII by America painter Ellsworth Kelly.


I don't know what these are, and I don't care.

But Gehry can't be held responsible for the decline of our civilization, so I guess I will concede that he did his job well.

1 comment:

G. Verloren said...

I'm unsure to what extent your remark about the decline of our civilization was in jest. It could be playful self mockery, or it could be entirely serious, and I have no idea which it is.