Wednesday, August 4, 2010

More on the Manhattan Mosque

The National Review, the Anti-Defamation League, and Senator Joe Lieberman have joined Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin in opposing the construction of the Cordova Center in lower Manhattan. I am flabbergasted that anyone takes this idea seriously, but perhaps I will have to lower my already low expectations for the rationality of my fellow Americans.

I am, though, gratified by the number of sensible people, right, left, and center, who have spoken up in favor of the mosque; here are David Frum, Andrew Sullivan, Jonathan Chait, James Fallows, and Amy Davidson, and they link to many others. It also reassures me to think that no matter how much noise the mosque opponents make, this is a battle that they absolutely cannot win: the mosque has been through the entire local review process in the regular way, so for the state or federal government to try to block it would so clearly violate the First Amendment that I can't believe any Federal court would even let it come to a trial. Amy Davidson sums up my view of the mosque opponents: "What country do they think they are living in?"

2 comments:

MLB said...

Joe Lieberman has become so unpredictable that I wonder if he has just lost his mind. How is it that he is still in office?

John said...

Ethnic politics.