Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Guns in America

I have given up on gun control as any kind of solution to our problems with violent crime. Too many Americans feel too strongly about their right to own and carry guns for gun control to make any headway as an issue. For Democrats to push the issue will just hand elections to Republicans, and what would that accomplish? And, philosophically, I think that it is generally a bad thing for a democracy to try to ban something that millions of generally law-abiding citizens think is their right. Guns creep me out, but I suppose I am just going to have to learn to live with them -- isn't tolerance a big part of what liberalism is about?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree. Millions of Americans clearly think that the right to own guns is absolutely essential to their freedom. Democrats should embrace that the same way they should embrace gay marriage and the right to worship where one pleases.

kathy said...

As a democrat, just home from the gun range, I'm right with you on this one. Then I'd have some more non-lunatic company to shoot with, too.