Saturday, May 11, 2019

Metaphors

I wanted to walk the dog this morning, and I got my shoes on and found the leash and got her all excited, and then noticed that she wasn't wearing her collar.

Now the dog, it should be made clear, has never shown the slightest sign of being bothered by her collar. But when my second son turned 16 he decided that it was strangling her and rubbing her skin raw and started taking it off her whenever she was in the house and defending this action by saying that only he cared enough about her to notice how her confining collar was paining her.

Now that my youngest son is 16 he has started to feel the same way and do the same thing. So I went and woke him up, and he told me where the collar was. And the dog and I had a nice walk in the woods.

1 comment:

G. Verloren said...

Life is full of moments where you can choose between sparing yourself some minor inconvenience, and doing something which by all appearances is probably pointless (but then again might not be), but which at minimum will make someone else feel better (even if for reasons that aren't fully rational).

I'm fine with turning to logic and expediency to combat negative things. But when logic and expediency get in the way of positive feelings, or even the hypothetical minor extra comfort of a dog, I try very hard to humble myself and set logic aside.

As Spock once said, "Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end."