Friday, May 18, 2018

Meanwhile in Japan

I give you the world's largest LEGO cherry tree:
At 14 feet tall and almost 5 feet wide, the incredible 3,333 kg (7,348 lb) piece . . . took over 6,500 hours to complete with 881,470 bricks. The impressive piece features a grassy base, large branches, a canopy with thousands of flowers, and even LEGO lanterns that illuminate the structure at night.
I am not sure if I am more puzzled by the act of investing 6,500 hours in a LEGO cheery tree or that I found this story at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

1 comment:

G. Verloren said...

Point of note, I highly doubt this was assembled by a single person. Projects of this scale are almost always team efforts. Thus, the quoted 6,500 hours is likely actually the total man-hours, split up between potentially hundreds of people working in teams on different parts of the assembly at once.

As for this being featured by The Met... well, it's art, isn't it? It's absolutely a sculpture, whether made from toy blocks or not.

Personally I think this is far more deserving of being called art than literal garbage like Duchamp's Fountain.