Ani, now in Turkey, was an Armenian town built in the 10th century AD and abandoned in the 14th century. Now only a few building stand amidst scattered ruins, including the cathedral (above) and the church of St. Gregory the Illuminator (below).
The Church of St. Gregory was built in 1215 by a merchant named Tigran Honents. The church's once magnificent frescoes are peeling away from its crumbling walls. UNESCO just put the site on a list of twelve significant historical sites that are rapidly disappearing.