Sunday, October 3, 2010

Vladimir Putin, Pop Icon

I find it interesting that one of the biggest stars of internet amusing photo sites is Vladimir Putin. There are hundreds of pictures of him on these sites (check out Pundit Kitchen), some photoshopped (above), some not (below), some with funny captions and others with Putin quotes. They show him doing all the Putin things, like reviewing troops, doing judo, meeting foreign heads of state, and (especially) posing shirtless or in a white undershirt. I don't really get it. I guess he has the tough dictator thing going for him, but I don't find him notably handsome or very interesting. I suppose it is one of those things like rickrolling or Chuck Norris jokes -- once a pop culture meme gets started, it develops a momentum of its own that carries it far beyond the original appeal of the subject.

No comments: