Friday, April 15, 2022

Kanamori Yoshio

Japanese printmaker, born 1922 and apparently still alive. In 1945 he went to study with Shiko Munakata, whose work in no way resembles these, which is interesting. Kanamori seems to have led a quiet life of art and teaching. One source reports that in 1992 he received the Order of the Sacred Treasure, 5th Class. Which makes me wonder; ok, it's nice to receive the Order of the Sacred Treasure, but 5th Class? Doesn't that seem like a bit of a snub? Anyway I think these are wonderful. I have written here before that I love European art of around 1900, when representation began to yield to other modes but things were still recognizable, and to me this creates the same mix of reality and symbol. Above, Mountain Stream, 1966.



Koyama Bird

Moon and Landscape

Butterflies, Mountain, and Lake

Moon-Mountain.

No comments: