These bronze beasts are so famous as history and symbol that it is easy to forget they are also beautiful art. The Venetians stole them from Constantinople in 1204, during the Fourth Crusade, and they were installed in front of St. Marks Cathedral. Napoleon stole them from Venice in 1797 but they were returned in 1815. They represent the horses of a quadriga or four-horse chariot. Everyone agrees they are ancient, but some hold for the 2nd or 3rd century AD and others for the 3rd or 4th century BC; there is even a faction that attributes them to the famous sculptor Lysippos. But whoever made them, they are just wonderful.