Saturday, May 18, 2013

Support Group for People Unfairly Maligned In Historical Fiction

Brilliant post from Kathryn Warner at the Edward II blog:
Isabella of France: I am somewhat baffled by the way I used to be portrayed as an evil cackling murderous unfeminine she-wolf but am now a long-suffering tragic neglected wife dumped on over and over from a great height by her nasty cruel gay husband. . . .

Joan Mortimer: Funny how my husband's adultery with you (Isabella) is romantic and entirely forgivable while Edward II's is deeply icky, isn't it, and that the same novelists who write scene after indignant scene about Isabella's neglect at the hands of her husband do their utmost to pretend that my husband isn't actually married? One novelist has me being very overweight and deeply unattractive, and the sad thing is that I'm actually grateful that she even bothered to mention me in the first place. They usually don't. . . .

Margaret of Anjou: I'm usually portrayed as this evil vengeful bitch without whom England would never have become embroiled in the Wars of the Roses, but what should I have done, for heaven's sake? Allowed my son to be disinherited in favour of that man York? And for all the writers who think I cackled like a mad harpy at the sight of York’s head after the battle of Wakefield, I wasn’t there, all right? I was in Scotland.

Roger Mortimer: Talking of being in the wrong country, evidently some writers have also failed to notice that I was in Ireland nine months before Edward III was born, and for a good while before and afterwards too. Even I, manly, virile, audacious and unequivocally heterosexual as I undoubtedly am, would struggle to impregnate a woman who’s in another country. . . .

Thomas Boleyn: I for one don’t blame you all for being upset. These writers seem to be obsessed with sex, and the more scandalous and unpleasant, the better. I was an accomplished diplomat and faithful servant of the king, who wished only to arrange great marriages for my children and improve our family’s standing … well, okay, I was ambitious, but really, who wasn't? ... and thanks to recent novels and a certain TV series, it seems I am now to be known in perpetuity - to put it colloquially - as Pimp Daddy Boleyn.
If you know anything about these people, you'll want to read the whole thing.

3 comments:

pootrsox said...

Ermengerd! Best historical satire I've read in ages!

Thank you so much!

I've reposted it to several of my fellow English teachers, and to several friends who are Shakespeare scholars.

I wish the two historical mystery authors who dealt with this period were still alive so I could share with them, too :( But I'll send the link to the Crime Thru Time Yahoo group, some of whom will appreciate it.

Kathryn Warner said...

Thanks so much for linking to this! I'm so glad you enjoyed reading it :-) :-)

Susi said...

You glean the nuggets of the web! Thanks!