Monday, August 29, 2011

After the Hurricane

Damage in my neighborhood was minimal -- lots of leaves and small branches down, a few larger branches, but only one large tree that I saw in my explorations -- EXCEPT that power went out at my house early Sunday morning and was still out when I left for work this morning. All of Catonsville west of Rolling Road was dark last night, except for houses of the smug hyper-preparers whose generators made a racket that kept this from being a back-in-time experience. It is something of a mystery to me why our power ever went out at all, since I could find no downed lines, and I followed the line I thought carried our power out to Rt. 40 where all the businesses were open and lit. But perhaps I was wrong and we get our power from the other direction. The morning was kind of fun, exploring and cleaning up, and it was a nice lesson for Clara in how much of her world depends on electricity. We cooked on the stove, lighting it with a match and feeling like pioneers. But as the day wore on the kids got bored and I got restless and now it is just dreary and time for the power to come back.

No comments: