Thursday, March 30, 2017

Cherry Blossom Season

Part of the excitement about cherry blossoms is the oh-so-brief period of their perfection. In Washington this year it looks like peak viewing season was exactly one day long, and that day was yesterday. I try to keep my eye on the trees near my office and stay flexible so I can spare a few hours for a walk to the Tidal Basin. But yesterday I was too busy, so I had to make do with a look at the trees in Rose Park. Today is starting out gray, with rain in the forecast for later, and tomorrow is supposed to bring us a whole day of downpour that will probably strip the trees bare.





So it's farewell until next year. But at least they come back every year.

1 comment:

G. Verloren said...

"But at least they come back every year."

For now. Sakura trees are fickle things, and rising temperatures are likely to make them struggle. In twenty years they may have great difficulty growing in the same latitude as they do currently.