Saturday, October 12, 2024

My Favorite Books of the Century

Fiction

  1. Hilary Mantel, Wolf Hall
  2. Hilary Mantel, Bring Up the Bodies
  3. Susanna Clarke, Piranesi
  4. Pascal Mercier, The Night Train to Lisbon
  5. Amor Towles, A Gentleman in Moscow
  6. Roberto Bolaño, 2666 (Review to come soon)
  7. Neal Stephenson, Anathem
  8. Marlon James, The Book of the Night Women
  9. Anna Burns, Milkman
  10. Daniel Kehlman, Tyll

Non-Fiction

  1. Jenny Uglow, The Lunar Men
  2. Charles Mann, 1491
  3. Pekka Hämäläinen, The Comanche Empire
  4. Isabel Wilkerson, The Warmth of Other Suns
  5. Robin Fleming, Britain after Rome
  6. Peter Hessler, River Town
  7. Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin, American Prometheus
  8. J.E. Lendon, Song of Wrath
  9. Louis Warren, God's Red Son
  10. Doris Kearns Goodwin, The Bully Pulpit

It makes me a little sad that there no medieval history on this list; in fact I can't remember the last work of medieval history I read that excited me.

No comments: