Thursday, September 22, 2022

A Field Day in Washington, DC

Because of a series of strange events, including two of my colleagues having jury duty on the same day, I got to spend some time in the field this week. We are working in an active construction site in DC, near the new baseball stadium. When I first worked in this area, in the mid 1990s, it was a post-industrial wasteland. Now it is almost fully built out. I think every building you can see in the photo above was built within the past 20 years.

The site. The foundations you can see are from houses and a store built around 1890 and torn down in the 1930s. So, not very old or exciting, so we are doing a limited dig.


Better view of one of the houses. Two great new field techs in these photos that I enjoyed working with. 

And what that dark projection off the back looked like after excavation.

The day's most interesting find. Do you think I'm cursed?

No comments: