Curiously, possumhaw isn't actually a kind of haw. It is a type of holly plant, rather than a hawthorn. This strikes me as an exceptionally odd way to name a plant, because true haws are edible, while holly fruit is quite poisonous.
These taste bad but are not poisonous. If they were, the Park Service wouldn't plant them everywhere.
You have a lot of faith in your local Park Service, it seems. I'm used to more... inept... sorts of public services in my locality.
Also worth noting, not all varieties of holly are equally poisonous, but they're all at least somewhat toxic.Possumhaw may not easily harm an adult, but it can readily harm a child or a household pet. Naturally it depends on the individual and on how large of a dose they receive, but they're certainly not an "edible" fruit in the standard sense. Even ignoring the taste, you certainly wouldn't want to make a pie out of them, or even just eat a large handful.
Post a Comment