Friday, September 30, 2016

A Bill I Suppport

The ACLU:
Sens. Richard Durbin (D-Ill.) and Chris Coons (D-Del.) introduced the Solitary Confinement Reform Act, which would require federal prisons to ensure that any period in solitary is as brief as possible and under the least restrictive conditions possible. It would also mandate that prisoners in solitary spend at least four hours per day outside their cells, have access to rehabilitative and educational programs, and be permitted to interact with other people in addition to other reforms.

1 comment:

G. Verloren said...

I was actually expecting you to bring up a different bill entirely today - the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act, which passed when congress bypassed Obama's veto of it.

I've heard absolutely nothing about it in domestic news - I had to hear about it through international channels. And I'm kind of stunned that it went through, given the sweeping implications it could have on foreign affairs. Jeopardizing sovereign immunity is kind of a huge deal, one which I'd think would garner greater concern and media coverage.