Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Revolution Goes on in Egypt

I have to say that I am surprised by the way things have unfolded in Egypt. I thought that Morsi and his Egyptian Brotherhood had reached an accord with the military, a sort of conservative block aimed at restoring order and preventing too much westernization. Of course the pro-western big city youth movement opposed Morsi, but I didn't think that would matter. So I was startled when the army chief pretty much threatened to overthrow Morsi if he did not reach some kind of accord with this political opponents.

Morsi seems to be an awful politician. After promising during his campaign to reach out to his opponents and pursue social peace, he has alienated everyone outside his own party. All the non-Muslim Brotherhood ministers in his cabinet have now quit, and the protests against him may be even bigger than those against Mubarak. The police stood by and watched while protesters torched the headquarters of Morsi's party, which seems like a message of some kind.

I don't feel especially optimistic about the near future. I don't think there is any political figure in Egypt who can unite all these angry factions, and without a leader who can end the uncertainty the tourists won't come back and the economy will continue to slide. But at least the people have taken a stand against Morsi's double-dealing.

No comments: