Tuesday, May 16, 2023

My Plan for a New Business as a Sensitivity Reviewer

According to one of my children who has spent time on web sites for writers, they are full of ads offering to pay people rather small amounts of money (often $50 or $100) to serve as "sensitivity reviewers" for book manuscripts.

I thought, what a way to make money! I could pose as a sensitivity reader with an expertise on every possible ethnic and gender situation. I could have a whole string of pseudonyns: Jay Whitewolf, Hector Gonzales, Ta-Nehisi Williams, Mahalia Brown, Susan Lepinski, Zephyr, Maddoger Bikerbabe, and an Appalachian sensitivity expert named Ripper T. Jackson.

I would do the reviews. I mean, I'm sure Google will tell me what the main red flags are. And I could be completely arbitrary as to whether I would just quibble about a couple of words or rip the whole thing to pieces for its plantation racist-neocolonial-transphobic-caveman sexist-suburban whitebread-out of touch Boomer attitudes.

And after I had duped people into paying me a few thousand dollars I could write an article for The New Yorker about the whole experience and what it says about America culture.

Foolproof!

No comments: