Saturday, November 13, 2010

A Forest of Gold

It has been a gorgeous fall here. We have had many beautiful sunny days, and the trees have been spectacular, as if they were competing to outshine each other. Over the past week I have been walking the dog in our woods right at sunset. The leaves are more than half gone now, and what remains are mainly beeches and a few late maples. These lingering leaves are mostly yellow, some tinted with orange, and I have been struck by the way they light up when the slanting rays of the sun shine through them. So this morning I was out early, watching the dog chase deer and trying to take pictures that show the quality of this golden light. I hardly succeeded, with my little digital camera, but at least these will remind me of that light, and perhaps remind you of times when you have walked in it yourself.

No comments: