Friday, February 19, 2010

In Praise of Boredom

A delightful essay by Colin Bisset:
I have always fancied being bored on a huge and stylish scale. I’m talking Great Gatsby boredom, with everyone lying around in white clothes and floppy hats, sipping long drinks with cooling names, and being utterly and divinely bored. How sophisticated can one get, goes my thinking, that even when surrounded by the best things in life, it’s not enough? Boredom wins through.

There’s something exquisite about boredom. Like melancholy and its darker cousin sadness, boredom is related to emptiness and meaninglessness, but in a perfectly enjoyable way.

3 comments:

ArEn said...

He is insane. Boredom is awful and without redeeming qualities.

Thomas said...

I've found that, when I'm bored by things that usually don't bore me, it's a good sign that I'm depressed.

John said...

Sometimes, boredom is perfect. There is a guilty pleasure in being too sick for anyone to expect one to do anything, allowing complete surrender to doing nothing at all.