Thursday, August 25, 2011

Back in the Field

I've been back in the field in Delaware this week, testing a small, 18th-century tenant farm site in a soybean field. It took me this long to post about it because my camera died, so I took these pictures with my phone, and it took me three days to figure out how to get the pictures from the phone to my computer. Who would design a phone that comes with both a camera and a USB cable but hides the pictures in a folder that cannot be made, in any way, to communicate through the USB port? I had to put the pictures on a micro disk, take the disk out, and put it in my wife's phone, which was perfectly happy to send the files directly to a pc hard drive. (No, I didn't pick the phone, my employers supplied it to me.)

Anyway, it's a pretty interesting site. The old part probably had a short occupation period around 1750, but this overlaps with a later site (maybe 1800 to 1850) close by, and sorting out these occupations is a challenge. We already found one pit feature in the older part, containing artifacts and animal bones.

No comments: