Monday, December 2, 2013

Two Demolitions: Prentice Women's Hospital (2013) and Penn Station (1963)

Bertrand Goldberg’s Prentice Women’s Hospital (1975) in Chicago is being demolished as I write. May even be gone already, for all I know, since the first blows were struck on October 11. This happened despite a prolonged campaign by preservationists and fans of modernist architecture, who consider the hospital a masterpiece of Brutalism.

Some of the building's fans are asking if this might be the "Penn Station moment" for the preservation of modern architecture, that is, a loss that so shocks people it leads to a sustained and successful preservation movement.

I doubt it.

Historic preservation is not about saving buildings because they are old or noteworthy examples of a style. It is not really about saving buildings at all. It is about saving us from the loss of a world that seems more gracious and noble than the one we live in today. New York's old Penn Station, built in 1910, was to New Yorkers the survivor of a bygone age of splendor, when they built majestic buildings just because they could. Its replacement, Madison Square Garden, seems like the opposite: cheap, ugly, shabby, the symbol of a fallen age. As Ada Louise Huxtable wrote in her 1963 “Farewell to Penn Station”:
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for and, ultimately, deserves. Even when we had Penn Station, we couldn't afford to keep in clean. We want and deserve tin-horn architecture in a tin-horn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build, but by those we have destroyed.
A building like old Penn Station evokes feelings of awe and wonder, and its loss made people mourn because it seems that we can't build like that any more. Even Alexandra Lange, an admirer of the Prentice Women's Hospital who worked to save it, admits that it evoked something very different:
Prentice hospital was not beautiful. Its cloverleaf top is weird, even to an admirer like me. Its glassed-in bottom, as architecture critic Blair Kamin wrote in the Chicago Tribune, was “boxy” and “unremarkable.” You can tell people a building is important as often as you like, but unless they feel it, they won’t cry over its destruction, and they won’t organize so that it never happens again. Preservationists (and architecture critics, myself included) can learn to tell better stories about buildings: their secret spaces, their best angles, their relationship to history and use. But experience might still tell a different story. It’s dark. It’s rough. It makes me feel small. It makes me want to run away.
One day modernists are going to recognize that most people don't want ugly buildings that make them want to run away. Not to mention that space was cleared for many of America's modern "masterpieces" by bulldozing whole blocks of lovely old houses, which makes fighting for their preservation a tad hypocritical. The people who built them wanted to sweep away the past, because they thought that was a good thing.

I am a flexible person. If some people want buildings that make them cower in terror, sure, whatever. But the world is full of this stuff. Not just architecture was built in the Brutalist vein, after all, but vast amounts of our infrastructure: highway overpasses, interchanges, dams, canals, power plants, etc. I can get that feeling of being overawed by ghastly avatars of the Dark Side underneath any of a hundred urban freeways.

That is what Brutalism evokes for me: a world in which the old and the beautiful were demolished to make room for the intentionally ugly. A world in which not caring about what was lost was a badge of toughness that architects wore with pride. To face the future, they said, you need a heart of concrete and steel To that world I say, good riddance. So I cannot mourn when the buildings that gave physical form to the murderous rationality of modernism are swept away in their turn.

1 comment:

pootrsox said...

While I agree re your take on Brutalism, I think some of its "masterpieces" need preservation, if only for what they say about that period of our history.

I smiled at your picture of Grand Central-- I have spent many happy times in NYC thanks to that building and am delighted that it was preserved and restored.

I was only in the "old" Penn Station once, in December of 1960. I had gone from Philly to NYC for a scholarship examination. By the time I was done, the blizzard had begun. At the time I was dating a fellow from Brooklyn, and he'd come into Manhattan to meet me. I attempted to get home, but the trains stopped running. The station was mobbed. In fact, I spent some time with the New York Knicks, who were waiting for the same train to Philly as I was!

Ultimately, my parents informed me that I could not remain at the station, nor could I go to a hotel, especially not with my boyfriend! (Oh, the morality of the middle-class in the Eisenhower era!!)

My boyfriend called a friend of his whom I also knew, who lived in Queens. We managed, somehow, to find NYC public transport out to Kew Gardens Hills and his friend's house. There we joined the friend, the parents, the older sibling, wife and child. 3 bedroom house! The sister-in-law, the mother and I all slept in the parental bed; the others were dispersed around the house. It was quite the adventure, especially when the power went out!

But I do remember being quite awed by the beauty of Penn Station: its size, its grandeur, its elements of palace and cathedral. North Philly station, where I had boarded the train, was nothing much. And I actually have never been 30th St Station, which does have some of that 1930's WPA glory about it.

Most of my train travel has been Metro North from New Haven to NYC. New Haven's Union Station is meh... though they did restore the waiting room so it has elements of the '30's about it still.

Nowadays I train from Richmond to New Haven via Amtrak. Nothing is quite so pitiful as the Richmond Staples Mill Rd station. It's an embarrassment. Some day I will get my transportation friends to drop me off at the Main St Station, a Romanesque wonder from 1901 that was reopened for train service within the past decade. I don't know what, if anything, remains from the original waiting room, etc. however.

But again, this Victorian building was preserved, even though many would call it ugly, a symbol of the robber barons, etc etc etc.