- Avoid eye contact with other people.
- Lean against the window and stretch out your legs.
- Place a large bag on the empty seat.
- Sit on the aisle seat and turn on your iPod so you can pretend you can't hear people asking for the window seat.
- Place several items on the spare seat so it's not worth the passenger's time waiting for you to move them.
- Look out the window with a blank stare to look crazy.
- Pretend to be asleep.
- Put your coat on the seat to make it appear already taken .
- If all else fails, lie and say the seat has been taken by someone else.
I have to say that my experience differs. I find that looking out the window is an invitation to take the seat beside me, but if I turn a blank stare on each approaching passenger in turn, they usually go elsewhere.