Friday, April 1, 2011

Delaware to Washington, DC

I had a field meeting in Delaware this morning, and I had sort of planned to spend all day there, but since it was raining our crew wasn't working, and the meeting was over by 10, which seemed too early to go home even by my lax standards. So I drove down to my office in Washington, 106 miles. The first hundred miles were fairly pleasant despite the steady light rain. I am listening to James Joyce's Ulysses, which I downloaded from my library and put on my iPod, which plugs into my car stereo, a technological system I have just now managed to implement. It is interesting as an intellectual exercise and some bits hold my attention, but often my mind wanders and I doubt I will make it through all 40 hours. I otherwise entertained myself by taking pictures of things out my car window, which necessarily entailed not really looking at the camera. Above, a picture taken from the bridge of a strange line-up of ships anchored in the Chesapeake Bay; idled by the recession? Waiting for berths?

Above, an attempt to take a picture of the heron rookery in a swamp by the Anacostia River; zoomed in, you can almost tell those dots are nests.

This is an old brick factory along New York Avenue by the National Arboretum. Note that the site is actually flat, but, as I said, I couldn't look at the camera.

And this is the nightmarish traffic jam I landed in trying to get from New York Avenue to I-395. After half an hour in which I traversed two blocks, I bailed out and made my way down to Constitution Avenue, which was flooded with cherry blossom tourists and not a whole lot faster. I would have taken pictures of the trees, but they really only look good in the sunshine.

No comments: